[DEV] Big update

Hey guys!

It’s been ages since I made a blog post, but a lot has been achieved in the past few weeks. Since last Wednesday, our fellow students got to test the game, we wanted to have a good, properly working prototype.

The reason I’ve been of the grid, is because I’ve been rewriting the majority of our code. After finding a few bugs in the core of our code, I decided it was time to just have a big cleanup. It took me a lot of time, but the results were quite surprising. We had a huge boost in performance, and a lot of bugs we had been trying to resolve, are all gone!

I also had to fix part of the UI, after we implemented our old unreal UI. It was nothing major, but the results make our game look a lot better!

Once that was done, I wanted to implement networking to fix our issue with the split screen, but due to the limited time we had for the game testing in class, we decided it’d be better if we just went for a 2-player camera, which Timothy added.

The testing went pretty well, and we received a lot of great feedback. Mostly about player feedback. This was partly because we had just switched to the new 2-player camera, which forced us to leave out some features, making some things not very clear.
After hearing the feedback, I got back to work. I’ve been working together with Lorenz trying to make our controls more visible. So far what I’ve done is make a little image appear as you come close to a planet that you own (I also added planet capturing, a feature we kind of just forgot about), which shows the button to press to go to the build mode. Lorenz also came up with the idea to add a hexagon grid, so we’ve been testing around with it, and so far I kind of like the results, but we will have to discuss these changes with our other teammates first.

Currently I’m also working on implementing object pooling for all our frequently used prefabs, such as bullets and enemies. This will give us some more increase in performance, so I figured I’d do it, as I was working on the enemies anyway (working on making them respawn, experimenting with random respawn locations vs set locations).

Big wall of text, and no screenshots? Well, not much to show this time, sorry! See you next time.

Cheers, Karel

 

[ART] Simple readable Planet capture

Hey Guys, This week some friends & colleges tested out our game, and some flaws came to light. In General the main problems where UI Based, Visuales that guided the player in playing the game as it’s intended. One issue that frustrated me the most was that there was no clear way of seeing if a planet was captured or not? So I introduced a hex-grid system that allows you to see which grid is from wich player by changing color upon capture. I’m working with Karel on this, however we are trying to avoid losing the feel of space in our game and in particular the rasterized effect. Below are some test pictures so far on introducing our hex-grid system.gridtest5gridtest4gridtest3gridtest2gridtest1

[ART] Color lookup, asteroid implementation, menu fixing

This week i faced some major problems while trying to open the project in the editor. this didn’t just affect me, also Nicolas. Together with Karel we figured out that this can be fixed by deleting the Metadata folder.

After loosing a lot of time, i re-implemented the menu screen. since a large chunk of the code was rewritten again. this time i also added new asteroids, with a simple rotation script to create some animo in the main menu. later on some ships will join the screen.

Since we got some feedback on the contrast and colors in the game, i researched on how to use color lookup tables within the engine and implemented it.

current menu screen:

Color correction

4548ea355f0e56425f2c5184fc80972a.png

[ART] Bullet Changes

Hey guys, I’ve also changed the previouse bullets with a particle effect wich was more problametic than i thought because adding a box trigger collision to this particle effect made the particle dessapear/ kill itself. After some help from Karel everything turned out fine eventualy.